Monday, July 27, 2009

Latest from the road

Tolna to Cooperstown July 27, 2009 - Breakfast in Tolna was very good Belgium waffle, sausage and eggs. The cafe is supported by the city after Tolna lost its only restaurant. Favorable winds blew us past Petkin and on to Cooperstown before noon. Our bike group is growing we have young Ely from NYC who teaches in Portland OR, Tom from upstate NY and FL, John from California, Art and Jon from Maine and the 6 of us Kansans. Received my new ATM card and some bike shorts from home, have time to do laundry, catch up on this blog, and do a lot of other "housekeeping jobs". We are moving well through North Dakota we are still on schedule and will be in Fargo in two days. We will definitely take a rest day in Fargo before we move on to Minnesota.


Minnewaukan to Tolna July 26, 2009 - The local rock and roll band played until 11:30 p.m. for the town festival. We enjoyed Minnewaukan the walleye and pike fish fry and the great hospitality. After a breakfast of pancakes, eggs and sausage at the local American Legion (part of the festival festivities) we were off to Petkin. As it turned out we stayed in Tolna which shortened our ride. I set out without real good directions and almost missed a turn but fortunately ran into the Smith's (Road Angels) from Syracuse, NY who had Adventure Cycling maps and got me on the right road. Their blog
is http://web.me.com/hsmith11/Site/Cycling_West/Entries/2009/7/26_Two_Eggs_Over%2C_Hard.html The route took me by a big Pow Wow event in Fort Totten and some exciting group fishing along Devil's Lake. Due to more services and food in Tolin a last minute decision was made to finish in Tolna rather than Petkin. Art from Maine missed the message and settled in Petkin, 7 miles down the road. I mention this because somehow Art was able to borrow the Cadillac convertible of the lodge owner in Petkin. I am sitting in the park in Tolin and Art pulls up in Cadillac trying to recruit us to come over to Petkin. As it turns out we stayed in Tolna and Art stayed in Petkin. Had an awesome pork roast and stuffing dinner from the local cafe. Those of us who stayed in Tolna hung out at the local bar, only water for me and told bike stories until bed time.

1 comment:

  1. After some testing it appears that we must invite people to this map via their email address. I've invited the O'Bryans, my kids and Jacque earlier. You can invite people as well, just click on the "Collaborate" link on the left sidebar. I'm a bit behind on the map updates (go to the second page of the sidebar to see more) due to getting ready to go to Spain. I'll send some pics from Barcelona y Madrid. Let me know if you have questions on the map. I'll send this message in email, as well.

    ReplyDelete